Category Archives: Just Life
Daly Dose of…MLK Day 2021
I’m not going to post a powerful Martin Luther King Jr speech. Most won’t listen to it, anyway. They are “too long” for our modern attention spans. Instead, I’ll post a concentrated bit of POWERFUL messaging that could fit on a tee shirt.
I don’t know who needs to hear this, but I suspect that audience includes most of us. We focus too much on hate. I’m trying to only hate, hate. I’m trying to not even hate the hates and the hateful. I’m focusing on being a positive force in this world. It’s my own carrot vs stick thinking, I imagine.
Would I rather focus on “punishing” what I perceive as negative, or rewarding positive behavior? (Please note that I am still for consequences for overtly bad conduct)
Do I want to assume through conjecture what I THINK is in someone’s heart or would I do better to engage and inquire?
Is it actually virtuous to claim exclusive stake in virtuosity to justify anger, or does self examination and critique lead one towards more virtue?
Is it on mission to engage in the battle of snark and quip, or is it in superior service to elevate the conversation with my own brand of “passionate logic” and the dissemination of factual information?
I know the answers to these questions for myself. Trust me, I’m someone who is really confident in what I think and believe, but I self-critique, ALL OF THE TIME. I hope more of “We The People” can adopt similar habits, before we actually start killing each other.
I’m Jeff Daly and I approve this message. I don’t know if MLK would approve of it, but in my mind, I hope that he would. I seek to honor his MASSIVE work and sacrifice in my own, smaller impact way.
This #MB2W is a challenge. It’s a discipline challenge, but it’s also a cooking challenge. I like carbs. There I said it. I’ve also been having random thoughts:
- I want Pizza.
*Did you know Michigan is home to Little Caesars (Pizza, Pizza!) and Domino’s? I know…you don’t have to say it. They aren’t my first choice, either.
*Did I mention that I want pizza? I love it. Yes, 3rd grade me, I’d marry it.
Discipline takes over. I will still eat Protein+Fats+Vegetables, but I will enjoy that shizz. It’s my right as a American…no as a human friggin being. Pizza is life!
The idea of a meatza, is that the crust is meat. As I’ve not yet braved the cauliflower crust trend, this was my only other choice.Read the rest of this entry
Ceviche With Love
During college, I dated a young lady who lived out here in California. I would fly out to visit her between quarters, and she’d expose me to new adventures that we didn’t have growing up in Kalamazoo, Michigan. She also lived in Glendale at the time and it was HOT AF!! One day we got in the car and headed out of that valley and ventured into the cooler (temperature and vibe) Hollywood area and she suggested that we try this place that specialized in ceviche. I didn’t know what that was, but I was willing to follow her lead. Awwww, the power of love…or making thereof.
Return of – I’ve Got Questions
I’ve been neglecting this blog, but I’ve decided to start again after some coaxing from the members of the Trader Joe’s group for Busy Mom’s that I participate in. That’s a whole other blog and story, though. Don’t worry, I’m going to be transplanting a lot of those posts over here as well.
Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching, and of course, I have thoughts:
1. Am I the only one who thinks the 15th is the REAL holiday? Savings on chocolate is just the beginning. I bought a couple of those steaks that they put into the heart shaped containers. DEAL!
2018 Mind & Body+ #NoExcuses Challenge
It’s about that time. The end of the holiday season is the New Year. Let’s get prepped now. I mean you are done with shopping, right?
Please note that I don’t like resolutions that are outcome based, but I love challenges that are input/effort based. You control what you put in. Focus on that and the results will come, or at least that’s the theory I’m working with.
Check out the video and let me know if you’re down for the 2018 #NoExcuses Challenge.
The apps mentioned are Duolingo and Freeletics. Go get em!
BONUS: start before the New Year and get some 2018 momentum.
A Political Tale of Two Pillows?
I’m just over here making my bed and decided that the Intimidater needed to get political. With an audience of dozens, it’s my duty to bellow unrequested positions (phrasing).
Those two pillows stand not in mismatched contrast, rather they symbolize the diversity of ladies welcome to share pillow time, upon my alter of physically expressed love or, in lieu of love, impulsive nighttime aerobics.
That, or I have actually lost a pillowcase. Who loses a dayum pillowcase? It’s not like it’s a little sock; It’s a fairly significant piece of fabric, for nekkid foot sake. One would have to be an idiot to lose a pillowcase.
So really, I have no choice, but to go with the diversity angle. Umm hmmm…
Top 10 Signs Today, that you’re in a Midwest airport, or at least not at LAX.
1. There are payphones…a significant number of payphones. No one is using them, but, you know….they could.
2. People are wearing shoes. Not flip flops or sandals or bare feet…except for the dude sitting behind me on the plane who almost left with vomit toes.
3. I’ve only heard one language being spoken. To be fair, the accents are varied.
4. I’ve seen more places selling beer than fresh squeezed juice.
5. Traffic is heavier on the runway than the freeway.
6. There is a strong diversity…of electronics. The iCult has a presence, but it’s not dominant.
7. I heard someone properly order a carbonated, beverage…as POP. It should also be noted that there was a line at McDonald’s. California’s have an irrational level of hatred for the Golden Arches
8. I have legitimately seen zero people taking selfies or video chatting.
9. No one seems to be just heading out to find themselves or go on a social media boast trip. Many, many people seem to have a common affliction. I think the technical term for it is, employment. Who knew people traveled to be productive
10. In what might be the most unionized, liberal place in the country, I’ve not heard one political quip, snark, or any of the unending anger laced, “clever” activism. People are pleasant and it’s safe to talk to them without them finding a way to twist any topic into telling you about their political views. No, they don’t need to be “woke”.
There are places everywhere to charge your phone…for free! They even have FREE stations to use a tablet.
I was thinking – 20 Random birthDALY thoughts.
Today is the kickoff of BirthDALY Weekend, 2017. On Facebook, I promised to be both silly and introspective – to ponder as much as party. Hopefully, this random list of thoughts satisfies all of my varied goals in one post. Of course, there will be more all weekend. You’ve been warned
Do you follow me on:
InstaGram @dalydosephoto and @intimidater
OK, on with the random awesomeness!